Friday, May 7, 2010

Ceramics in Vogue, thanks to Vogue!



This is the third time I have found the work of someone I knew within the pages of Vogue Living (Australia) while flicking idly through it in my local newsagents, figuring out whether I needed another indulgence in my life. Vogue Living often includes some inspiring reviews or articles on design and invariably at least one article on a 'maker'. The publication ought to be commended for this inclusive approach, as they are truly bringing the artist into the homes of those who may wish to collect our work.

At a glance my friend Jodi Dawson is on page 54, with her handpainted plates, Potter Rynne Tanton who is at Crickhallow Pottery in Tasmania (page 77) - they call him a Ceramics Wizard - what a lovely title! He is shown making cracked clay surfaces on his thrown ware - they say he uses a gas torch but I think he is also using sodium silicate on the surface and stretching from within, as I learnt from Janet de Boos at ANU Distance School in Ceramics not long ago.  More from the man here http://resources.education.tas.gov.au/item/edres/d81fa561-6c23-91df-052d-592808eb3861/1/tanton_final.zip/rynnetanton.htm  Someday soon I will learn how to do short links - emails welcome!

AAAAAND ..... Perth W.A. Midland Atelier is given attention on page 103. I nearly went blind though trying to find those page numbers for you, so check it out.

Blogger is busy and won't allow me to upload an image, but I will later.

No comments:

Post a Comment