Friday, April 16, 2010

ALANA MC VEIGH


I am heading out again this Wednesday evening to catch Alana and Claire's exhibition at

EMERGE Art Space
676A Beaufort Street

Mount Lawley

Perth


21st April - 7th May

Alana used to be a member of Clay Feet and I caught up with her at SODA in Cottesloe at the weekend at Laura McKibbon's lovely exhibition. I succumbed to the collecting bug there too and bought a small piece. There were some very fresh and innovative pieces there from collaborating with some of the SODA artists, like Fleur Schell and I liked seeing Laura's domestic ware in the flesh and not via her website for once.

It is always a feast or a famine with exhibitions, often several falling on the same night. Alana throws with Southern Ice Porcelain, water etching delicate patterns on the surface, a tricky technique but very rewarding. She has recently been in China on a museum residency. Claire's paintings are exciting and I see she won the Churchie Emerging Artists Award 2009 (painting category) so I am keen to see what she has been producing since then.