Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Catch up....




I was intensely busy over the last few months preparing work for assessment at ANU Distance Diploma Residential School in Canberra and the Clay Feet exhibition in Heathcote Gallery. The run down to Christmas entailed more end of year 'events' than usual  as my three sons were graduating their respective schools.  By Christmas, I was 'over it'.




I've just returned to stonking hot Fremantle from stonking  hot Canberra, where I was reunited with many clay pals on the same course, ate out a lot, and had a brilliant time. There were some new students starting the course and a whole lot of Korean ceramic students visiting with their Professor Lee InChin.  They were a little shy at first to use their english, and nobody else spoke Korean but we all got along well.  They were doing the sculptural workshop and making self portraits, with a twist, and they were so good! 

Some of us in the final phase of our projects spent time working out kinks in our throwing skills and had Ian Jones http://www.oldsaintlukesstudio.com.au/Ian%20Jones.html and Lee InChin standing by to demonstrate, correct and generally support our throwing.  It was an unexpected treat to have such calm and kind and GOOD teaching support- we totally LOVED it and appreciated every second. 

I was thrilled to get a high mark in my glaze technology exam, so Ican breathe easier now that phase is over.  The assessment of my Interim Work Proposal (IWP) was very positive and useful.  My final project for ANU produced the large handbuilt  'nest' forms pictured above, covered with images using multiple Print On Clay techniques.   I still love what my friend Samira called my NEO-MODERN forms BUT I have't got the balance right with the strength of the surface treatment and the scale of the work.  I will use the forms for another series of work, once I finish this course at ANU.


On to the next phase - thrown one piece double-walled soft pillowy nest forms (as above) but still printed - and smaller than the ones I've recently finished.  I aim to make the surface imagery simpler and  monochromatic - I wonder if I can stick to that, I am a natural embellisher, don't know how to stop.  

I practiced making these when in Canberra last week, a little tricky, but I like the results.  I love when a fired ceramic piece convey's the impression of softness.  These are the size of a bread and butter plate, Ian Jones made a lovely one larger than a dinner plate - which is this week's aspiration. Years ago my tutor at Claremont School of Art, Drew Armstrong  showed how to throw annular forms (doughnuts to you and me) and I thought I'd never master that - but now look at me!  Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I like your thrown 'doughnuts', are they hollow? They look lovely and soft. I like your nest forms as well. They look slipcast.I am going to try and have a play with printing onto some plates this year. I just haven't worked out quite how to do it yet. A potter friend of mine was doing a course at ANU Are any of your fellow students from Tassie? lovely work, cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that I had left a comment here the other day. OH dear another 'dory moment'

    I like your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. magnifico work... Im also at ANU, hopefully we can get to meet up the next time your over this side of the country. I can't wait to learn how to do all the printing...
    Cheers

    A'isha

    ReplyDelete