Saturday, November 7, 2009

HOPE

If you look at the image at the heading of this blog, a porcelain blossom with copper glaze inside it,this is a project I have been wanting to revisit and I tried to last week. I decided to make more 'lilies' and 'lotus blossoms' with Southern Ice porcelain but I forgot how tricky the stuff is to work with. It seduces us with the promise of whitest of white porcelain surfaces but frankly, it is like throwing cream cheese and it requires very, very slow, careful drying, cracks very easily and has a massive shrinkage rate. But still, I LOVE it and am waiting for the two surviving blossoms to dry out to be fired.

I lost four big pieces of work in the last two weeks, intended for LUMINANCE at Heathcote. I decided that as they were very large and took a lot of drying I'd come up with something less demanding. So I made some laser decal porcelain vases and rain catcher gizmos I've been toying with in the visual diary in my head, you know, when sleep is what you need but your imagination is keeping you awake.


No comments:

Post a Comment