Sunday, August 23, 2009

I have a lot of catching up to do here, if I try to do it all here, it will end up too long and wordy and I will lose your attention.
Most recently I taught my Print On Clay workshop (Mark I, Mark II is under development) again, this time at Julie Drury's shop in O'Connor, WA, The Potter's Market. I covered ...
INKJET TRANSFER
UNDER GLAZE TISSUE TRANSFER
UNDER GLAZE/SLIP TRANSFER
SILK-SCREENED UNDER GLAZE TISSUE TRANSFERS
ON-GLAZE WATERSLIDE DECALS
LASER DECALS
I demonstrated and explained how the techniques work and how to access the necessary materials. I had an audience of 22 and was surprised to learn that many of them were high school teachers. How good is that, for teachers to give up a fair part of their weekend in order to make their ceramics teaching more interesting to their students. I was very impressed with them. A large group came from Pinjarra, others from Bindoon and Mandurah. I was flattered that potters felt what I had to teach merited having them travel quite far to gain skills. It made me reflect on how lucky those of us close to cities are in having access to workshop. The demise of ceramics in tertiary level education is often discussed and fought for but maybe the answer is to get in there earlier and make ceramics in high schools more prominent. I feel that clayworkers outside the metro area should invite tutors they are interested in, to present workshops in country areas. This could provide teaching and networking opportunities that otherwise might never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment