Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Print on Clay workshops


In March at Perth Studio Potters, Cottesloe and in May at Central TAFE, Perth I taught my workshop 'Introduction to Print On Clay Techniques'. I put this together to share some of the skills I learnt from Paul Scott (link) and Professor Suzanne Wolfe of Univ. of Hawaii in my time at ANU, Canberra.

The people who attended were so keen and interesting, now I see how rewarding teaching can be but it wouldn't have gone so smoothly at either venue without behind the scenes backup from kind supportive potters doing the admin and finance side, setting up tables, photocopying handouts, putting kettles on all that stuff I hadn't time to consider. Potters are wonderful people.

I used the time to explain several techniques like ...
Underglaze tissue transfer
Ungerglaze / slip transfer
Silk-screened underglaze tissue transfers
On-glaze waterslide decals
Laser decals
and ordering digital ones from your own images

The photo above is of my friend Anna Chicos using the simplest of underglaze transfer techniques , well a post is boring without something to look at, and I will be posting images of her beautiful work here soon, with her permission. Her final project for our ANU course is based on tissue transfer onto porcelain. What makes her work special is her affinity for the drawn line and howe well she uses it. Be excited in anticipation.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 18, 2009

    Hey...I recognise those hands!!..of course you have my permission...I look forward to it...thanks for the kind comments...love Anna

    ReplyDelete