Friday, February 15, 2013

Buckets

How do you label your buckets of clay and glaze?  I write on mine in permanent marker on the lid and on the side and tie a test ring with name and cone on it onto the handle.  Sometimes I even put a laminated recipe inside the bucket to be sure to be sure.  Tape dries up and falls off due to the heat and effects of UV.  Sometimes the marker fades or wipes off.

I was cleaning buckets yesterday and used this method of cleaning off the marker (or 'texta' to australians).  I wipe the writing off with a cloth and some methylated spirit or even insect repellant - note the Aeroguard bottle in pic.  I don't always have Metho around but always have the insect repellant.  It makes me wonder though, if it dissolves the Texta on contact - what might it be doing to our bodies when we spray it on?

I found a new source for buckets in a local restaurant - I may have to become a more frequent patron though .... mmm I'm not sure how economical this might be, one breakfast out might score me say eight buckets if I am lucky.  OK I am convinced, madness not to try, right?

Are you going to click on Mud Colony blog to see what all my clay pals are up to?

2 comments:

  1. eucalyptus oil will do the trick too ( on the texta, not sure about the insect repellant properties :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that WD40 does too but I have proved it to be not always the case.

    ReplyDelete