Saturday, January 12, 2013

Now where was I?

According to Blogger I have made 149 posts to this blog since I started with 15 drafts awaiting completion.  That's pretty typical I think, I love starting things, it is the process that counts and I don't always finish stuff despite my best intentions.  So where was I?  I was in Bali in early November for a few weeks of well deserved family holiday time.  I don't love Bali, I like the people but I detest the main hubs for holidaymakers such as Kuta where cheap hotels and markets are crammed together and it is all about Bintang tshirts and knockoff DVDs and Converse Trainers etc. not to mention the current trend of METHANOL LACED DRINKS in bars - the kind that KILL PEOPLE.  Given that tourism is such a massive income source for Bali you'd think they'd be more mindful.
We had a gorgeous hotel room in Nusa Dua, spent a lot of time together chilling out and the best part was the elephant ride, Gaelan and I shared one and rode behind the rest of the family on other elephants, hence quite a few of my photos are of pachyderm's rear ends.  How can you not be moved by being close to an elephant, they feel so ancient and deeply vulnerable.  These ones were well taken care of and well trained,  friendly and gentle and their keepers were keen to ensure visitors got a great experience at the park.

















As for the mosquitos who attacked my ankles one evening by the pool as I sipped my first Mojito - I hope Karma has a good plan for them as I copped a nasty virus which remains with me even in January 2013.  If you noticed my absence (and I know one or two have) that is why I have been quiet.  I am flattened by this virus and gradually re--emerging.  My liver is inflamed and I have all the energy of an inert object like say a large Henry Moore bronze only not quite as lovely.

I have watched as potter friends went through the weeks of prechristmas push participating in open studios and markets while I sat at home making and selling nothing and able to do very little.  On the plus side my sons are getting easier to persuade to make dinner for the family and I feel really good knowing they are getting so capable in the kitchen.  Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. looks like you had a wonderful family holiday Elaine. Sorry to hear about your virus. If it's anything like Dengue Fever you have my deep sympathy as I had that when we lived in Papua New Guinea. Each morning I would think I'll be right today, have a shower and collapse back into bed!! Get well soon.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete