Friday, June 29, 2012

Testing times


Most potters know that the majority of ceramic materials are white or off white powders. This is a quadraxial blend of materials I am doing at Central TAFE and you'd think, 'some pretty zingy colours happening there!'.  The coloured tiles are misleading because it is the materials causing the colours you see and one of them is very soluble and toxic, but the kiln firing will change all that and melt them to show their true abilities and potential. This is not a tame or 'safe' combination of materials and it is not designed to be used on your average coffee mug.  I expect one or two of the results will send me in a new direction of more tests and more predictable but exciting results.  I am the kind of person who finds rust, cracked paint or crazed plaster visually thrilling at times. I'm excited!



8 comments:

  1. do they contain Barium, ages since I used it so can't remember what it looks like in the raw. Hope you post your results after firing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there is no Barium Carbonate in this combination, though it is brilliant for enhancing colour and then there is the whole debate about toxicity. It looks like any other white powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, looking forward to seeing your results

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the results. Already they look impressive! I, too, love chippy and peeling paint, rust...anything distressed really! I suppose a day will come when I will understand glazes and their ingredients a little more and be able to experiment myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always nice that you pop in and comment Anna, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog Elaine, via Pinterest. Great posts.... and I like the interspersed birds too...was singing the kookaburra song to my son just the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colours raw, I can't wait to see them fired. I hate commercial stains because they're so stable and predictable (designed for the industry where these things are important) and I'm always trying to mix colours that react with the glaze. The difficult ones are yellow and red. Yellow I've got, red I'm still working one.

    ReplyDelete