Sunday, March 31, 2013

Closure ... coming soon to a place near me.

I am pleased.  I got the Joan Campbell tiles completed - first set of 17 tiles delivered with the spare set ready bar three refires.  You might remember I blogged about this a long time ago here.  You know kilns, stuff happens in them, some of the tiles in the second kiln developed a yellowish tinge around the text in chocolate brown print in the firing.  Some others developed a weird white halo on the tiles close to the peephole in the door or the vents on the kiln roof but they resolved in a retire.  I will refire these ones and hope for a better result.  I had trouble printing my own decals, the china paint was a bit more coarse than I expected and I ended up arranging professionally printed digital decals.  So I am looking forward to closure on that project and seeing them installed to replace Joan Campbell's original set which have suffered badly in the twenty years since they were installed.  On delivery Corine (the person doing the commissioning) said the nicest thing - 'Joan would be proud of you'.  I'll post pix when the new installation is made public.

Not much to tell you this week, working hard, loving it, teching in TAFE, about to complete our evenign class of Print on Clay and surface treatments on Wednesday nights at TAFE, repeating that next term, teaching in a high school, making some clay tools for making slabbed boxes.  I'll tell you about that next week .. I want to go to see what they are saying at the Mud Colony first.

Actually I prepared this post about a month ago, lots has happened since then, big stuff, not clay related at all, but such is life as an Aussie bloke once said.  There is a link there, if you follow it you'll be led to a little bit of Australian history and folklore.  I like to throw in a cultural allusion every now and then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment